Friday 25 January 2008

Going off on a tangent


So I’m minding my own business on a Friday morning, surfing, as you do, reading about biodiversity and cures for childhood cancers, thinking “man, I love science, I wish I was a scientist” when I come across a headline: Human-animal embryos get the go-ahead.

This makes me do a double take worthy of a cartoon character, and I discover that yes that’s exactly what they are doing, you know ‘they’; they’re mixing cows and rabbits with humans.

Now, the whole cloning thang has been running around in my mind for a few days now, ever since I read about that mad scientist who cloned himself, I watched a movie called The Island (also about clones running around), and now this.

“…anti-abortion and religious groups launched a fervent campaign against the proposals, claiming that the research would undermine human dignity and blur the boundary between humans and other species.”

Blur?

I didn’t feel outraged, or feel horrible for the poor clones who might one day grow up to feel discriminated against, because you know they have tails and horns, no… I just thought, oh well.

Now the reason behind this apathy I think is because ‘they’ have been preparing us for life with mutants for centuries:

1 In association with the devil (aka Disney/Hollywood) we have been introduced since a tender age to delights such as Beauty & the Beast (or how romantic it is to fall in love with animals), The Elephant Man and Mutant Ninja Turtles.

2 ‘They’ overcame the whole ‘soulless freak’ issue by starting with Dolly the sheep, have you seen dolly? She’s cute man, and guess what? She must have a soul I mean otherwise, how come she’s breathing and stuff.

3 The ancient Egyptians already knew all about this cross-cloning shit, I mean just look at the sphinx, half man, half lion…nuf said.

4 What’s the worst that can happen ay? They have agreed to kill all the half human embryos when they are still no larger than a pinhead. So what if one day, an intern at the lab feels a special affinity for one of the pinheads, takes it home in a petri dish, feeds it and waters it and gives it life…nah, that could never happen.

3 comments:

That Guy said...

I have a feeling that the next century is gonna be filled with a lot of horror & disaster movies coming to life...

AT LEAST, we will have watched it before it happens....

DailyAntics said...

wait a minute, where's your midget?

That Guy said...

*whistles, door flies open and midget comes running in..*

Midget-daily antics, daily antics- midget.

 
Locations of visitors to this page

Dell Coupons
Web Counters